The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship at the University of Toronto provide an unparalleled opportunity for outstanding international students to study at one of the world’s best universities in one of the world’s most multicultural cities. The scholarship program is intended to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and creativity and who are recognized as leaders within their school.
A special emphasis is placed on the impact the student has had on the life of their school and community, and their future potential to contribute positively to the global community.
Awarded annually, these scholarships recognize outstanding students from around the world, including international students studying at Canadian high schools. This is U of T’s most prestigious and competitive scholarship for international students. The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years. The scholarship is tenable only at the University of Toronto. Each year approximately 37 students will be named Lester B. Pearson Scholars.
How To Apply
To become a Pearson Scholar, you must be nominated by your school and apply to undergraduate studies at the University of Toronto. Ask your school guidance counsellor about being nominated. Once you’ve been nominated and have applied to the University of Toronto, you will be sent a personalized, secure link to the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship application.
Pearson Scholars are students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement and creativity, who are accepted as leaders within their school, and who have the potential to contribute to the global community in the future. They can be distinguished from other students who may have equally high academic results by virtue of their breadth of interest, intellectual energy and impact on the life of their school and community.
To be eligible to apply to the Pearson International Scholarship, you must be:
- an international student (i.e. a non-Canadian requiring a study permit);
- currently in your final year of secondary school or have graduated no earlier than June 2018
- beginning your studies at the University of Toronto in September 2019 (students already attending post-secondary studies cannot be considered; students starting their studies in January 2019 at another post-secondary institution cannot be considered)
To apply, you will need to:
- Receive a nomination from your school (High schools not already contacted/verified are asked to submit an application to participate in our program, available here.)
- Apply to study at the University of Toronto to begin your studies in 2019 and complete your application for admission by the appropriate deadlines.
- Once we’ve received a nomination and you’ve applied to the university, you can complete the online Lester B. Pearson Scholarship application.
- School nomination deadline: November 30, 2018
- Student OUAC application deadline: December 17, 2018 (Please note this is the final date to submit an application to the OUAC; however, it is recommended you apply for admission through the OUAC before November 1, 2018 as spaces in programs fill-up quickly and popular programs may close early.)
- Student scholarship application deadline: January 15, 2019
Resources for Guidance Counsellors & Headmasters
We value our relationships with guidance counsellors and headmasters from around the world. We’ve prepared resources and answers to commonly asked questions about the Pearson Scholarships to help you advise your students.
How To Nominate A Student
High schools already verified by Enrolment Services will be contacted annually by email with a personalized, secure nomination form. If your school has not been verified, please submit an application to participate in our program, available here. Once your school is verified, we will provide you with your school’s nomination form and next steps.
When Do I Nominate A Student
Nominations will be accepted beginning in September. This year’s deadline to nominate a Pearson Scholar is November 30th, 2018.
Can I nominate more than one student?
Schools can nominate one student per year. The Pearson Scholarship is designed to recognize outstanding students from around the globe. Part of the selection process involves your school choosing your top candidate for nomination. We encourage schools to nominate the student that best exemplifies the qualities of a Pearson Scholar.
When will my student nominee receive a decision?
Pearson Scholarship recipients will be notified by the end of April 2019.
Can I nominate a student even if they haven’t applied to U of T?
Yes, you can nominate a student who has not yet applied for admission to U of T. However, in order to submit the scholarship application, students must apply for admission to U of T.