Our Capital Projects Team is seeking a Facilities Project Engineer to join our dynamic group. This role is focused on the coordination and management of facility engineering projects (up to 200 million dollars), providing managerial and technical direction for the design and construction of projects of varying levels of complexity and ensuring all planning and construction budget objectives are established from project conception through to commissioning. The Facilities Project Engineer will also have responsibility for assisting field Operations and Production in identifying and implementing facility improvement opportunities and the resolution of technical issues. The role involves extensive collaboration with all departments within Devon through the full project life-cycle.
This is a Permanent full time position located in the Calgary office, however, travel to site and the engineering contractor offices is required.
- Coordinate and execute the assigned projects in collaboration with the Devon functional groups – Development, Technical Operations, Operations, Drilling and Completions, Surface Land, Regulatory
- Accountable for the project’s scope, quality, cost and schedule objectives
- Develop plans for the engineering design, procurement, fabrication, construction and pre- commissioning aspects of the project
- Manage the scope of the project and implement the necessary changes to keep the project plans up-to-date and actionable
- Obtain and manage input from project stakeholders
- Direct and manage engineering contractors with respect to project scope, design, manpower, schedule, change control and risk management
- Coordinate preparation and submission of regulatory approvals, permits and licenses
- Monitor progress against project plans to proactively identify and mitigate risk throughout the project and initiate corrective measures when required
- Ensure adherence to company procurement and engineering policies and standards
- Reinforce and promote Devon’s EH&S standards & attributes
- Implement lessons learned of previous projects and ongoing operations
- Ensure stage gate deliverables are complete and establish solutions and options to the business that add the most value to the organization
- Obtain necessary internal and external approvals
- Work closely with Devon’s field operations, maintenance staff, construction supervisors and contractors to ensure they have the required resources and information needed to complete their work in a safe and timely manner
- Accountable for issue management for the assigned projects including interface issues, non-conformance resolutions and general quality concerns
This position will offer the right candidate variety in their daily work life. We are a multi-disciplinary, results driven team. We seek an individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills, who values teamwork, while at the same time is able to multi-task, work independently, and keep on top of their role in a deadline-driven environment. The team will utilize and rely upon the strong analytical and decision-making skills, partnered with leadership characteristics and the ability to influence and affect change in a positive manner.
- Professional Engineer registered with APEGA, with 15+ years of related experience
- Ability to lead and influence internal and external teams through formal and informal authority
- Demonstrated commitment to Environment, Health & Safety
- Good understanding of heavy oil treating, steam generation, water treatment processes, and plant control systems
- Strong people management and conflict resolution skills
- Experience in the construction and operation of SAGD facilities; time spent working with field construction would be considered an asset
- Excellent business acumen with the ability to write and present business documents
- Ability to provide recommendations and resolutions to senior management in time sensitive situations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment with multiple competing priorities
- Experience managing SAGD wellpad and flowline projects along with medium to larger in plant brownfield projects
- Experience managing projects ranging in size from $10MM to $200MM
- An enthusiastic and genuine team player who will encourage teamwork and share knowledge freely within the organization
- Experience in Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP) and Risk Assessment Process is an asset
- Working knowledge of regulatory and engineering codes, standards and practices (AER, ABSA, API)
- Ability to work cross functionally – Operations, Production, Maintenance, Development, Asset Integrity, etc.
- Previous project experience with an EPC company would be considered an asset
- Well-developed technical, writing and organizational abilities
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Has experience and a desire to mentor junior and intermediate project engineers
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft applications
Devon Canada is a great place to do great work. Our unique collaborative culture encourages innovation and cross-functional relationships to achieve great things, as a team. Our aim is to produce energy in the most sustainable way possible; when we’re finished, leave the communities and environments we operate in better than we found them.
The Devon Advantage
- Top 40 Best Workplaces in Canada and FORTUNE Magazine’s 100 BEST Companies to Work For
- Emerald Award winning environmental performance
- Premier SAGD operations
- Award winning gym facility in Calgary and Jackfish
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Bonus and long-term incentive programs
- An employee-focused, performance driven environment
Environment, health and safety are at the core of everything we do at Devon. We’re committed to getting each employee and contractor home safe every night, and preserving the quality of the environment for future generations. The successful candidate will help maintain a high level of excellence in these areas, requiring them to anticipate risk and ensure safety in the workplace is a priority.
Devon is an inclusive and diverse employer.